MPE is a professional manufacturing company having a full staff including packaging engineers capable of providing our customers with:
- Die Cut Foam
- Profile Cut Foam
- Corrugated Packaging
- Agricultural Packaging
- Medical Foams
- Water Jet Cut Foam
- Thermal Packaging
- Custom Package Design and Project Development
- Contract Manufacturing
- State-of-the-Art CAD Product Design
- Precision Die Cutting
- Protective Packaging Design
- In-house Packaging Engineers
- “Kiss” Cutting Foam Shapes
- Complete Fabrication of Packages
- Hot Wire Cutting for EPS Foams
- Computer Controlled Routing Machines
- Convoluting of Polyurethane Foams
- Custom Profile Shapes
- Flocked Foam Packaging
- Foam and Adhesive Laminations
- Gluing Foam Die Cuts and Pads to Form an Assembly
- Fully Automated Computer controlled profile cutting equiptment
- Heat sealing of polyethylene foam
- Long and short run production capability
- Foam laminating
- Sonic welding
- Prototype samples for customer approval/review
QUALITY FOAM MATERIALS
You get the very best in foam materials when you have Madison Polymeric Engineering provide your custom foam inserts and other products. Our production facility is capable of working with all the major kinds of foam, and we’ve achieved excellent results with them all.
If it all seems a little overwhelming, you can rest assured that our design team will help you determine which type of foam is ideal for your packaging specifications, your shipping requirements, and your budget. Factors such as the precision of the required cuts and the thickness of the foam will be important, but we’ll help you understand your product with a sample.
Polyurethane foam is excellent for cushioning, packaging, and acoustic baffling. It’s flexible and resilient, and it’s available in a variety of colors and versions.
- Anti-static versions — Eliminate static discharge when shipping electronics
- Reticulated or filter foam — Uses an open cell structure to filter particulates from fluids and gases
TYPES OF POLYURETHANE
- Polyether foam — A lighter foam (less than 2 lbs. per cubic foot in density) that is ideal for most packaging
- Polyester foam — A heavier foam (2-6 lbs. per cubic foot) that is great for items requiring more stability
POLYETHYLENE FOAM (PE FOAM)
Polyethylene foam is a “closed-cell” foam that can be extruded into planks and rolls, which can be laminated to form planks up to 5″ thick. PE foam blanks are uniform and stable, and that allows for more precise fabrication.
PE foam is non-dusting, non-abrasive, and capable of absorbing multiple shocks, and that makes it an excellent packaging material.
It has a cross-linked form that is more compact, resists water, and permits thermoform or compression molding. The cross-linked form is used extensively to protect class “A” surfaces, including medical products.
EXPANDED POLYSTYRENE (EPS)
Expanded polystyrene is a lightweight, thermoplastic “closed-cell” rigid foam that is ideal in packaging situations where reliable performance and value are critical. It offers excellent shock absorption and compressive strength.
EPS is manufactured by expanding styrene beads in a mold until the voids are all filled. The resulting product is relatively solid and it has low thermal conductivity, which makes it useful for packing where insulation is important.
EPS can be molded in blocks up to 25 feet in length, 4 feet in width, and 30 inches in height. Those blocks can be cut by hot wires, which give you nearly infinite versatility in 2D geometric shaping.
Flocked foam combines a polyester-based foam with tiny fibers that have been electrostatically oriented and glued to the foam. The result is a smooth, uniform surface with a velvety look and feel.
Flocked foam is excellent when you want a decorative package or display, such as in a sales demonstration case or the shipping package for a high-end product.
PRESSURE SENSITIVE ADHESIVE (PSA)
Pressure sensitive adhesive tape is a continuous strip of flexible material coated with adhesive on one or both sides. We can produce custom tape in a variety of configurations.
- Cloth, paper, metal, plastic, or foam strips
- Natural or synthetic rubber or resin, acrylic, silicone, or polymer systems
- With or without additives
STYROFOAM™ is a type of polystyrene that is trademarked by Dow Chemical Company. It’s typically available as building insulation, although it’s also used in the floral and crafts industries. Most things colloquially called “Styrofoam” are actually expanded polystyrene, but not really STYROFOAM™.
We can provide you with EPS or STYROFOAM™ as required.
→ Please download this PDF or more information on the materials used by Madison Polymeric Engineering
Product Materials Spec Sheet 2018 – PDF
Molded Pulp Packaging
We design, develop, test and produce advanced thermoformed pulp products. Our lab scale manufacturing provides product development, sampling, and pilot production. Expertise in enhancing the qualities of thermoformed pulp through sustainable formulations and coatings.
We can make products impervious to water, oil, alcohol, and various detergents.
Follow this link to explore our Molded Pulp Engineering site.